Financial Aid Resources

Photo of a 20, 10, and 5 dollar bill

Federal student aid is financial help for students enrolled in eligible programs at participating four- and two-year public or private educational institutions, career schools, trade schools, etc. Financial aid helps cover tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. Most federal aid is need-based. – This website helps Wyandotte County students find college scholarship opportunities. In addition, it highlights internship and community-service opportunities.

Types of financial aid:

  • Grants - Financial aid that does not have to be repaid
  • Loans - Borrowed money that must be repaid with interest
  • Work-study - Earn money by working on campus while enrolled in school to help pay for education expenses

Who is eligible for financial aid?

  • U.S. citizens with a valid Social Security Number
  • High school graduates or GED recipients
  • Students enrolled in an eligible program who are seeking a degree
  • Males between the ages of 18 and 25 who are registered with the Selective Service

How do you apply for federal student aid?

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For priority consideration in the State of Kansas, you must submit the FAFSA by March 1 visit (Note: is not the official website of the federal  government.)
  2. Review your Student Aid Report (SAR).
  3. Contact the school(s) you may attend.

Need Help?

If you need help completing the FAFSA or have questions about financial aid, contact the KU TRIO Talent Search staff. We offer advising that focuses on completing the FAFSA and answering questions about financial aid. You can also contact your high school guidance counselor, or call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-324.

Check out Federal Student Aid - an office of the U.S. Department of Education. This website is a great college and financial aid resource.